Thursday, April 19, 2007

Trigeminal Neuralgia: Edit # 2

As I mentioned in an earlier post my mother was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia, a chronic pain disorder that causes those suffering from it to experience episodes of excruciating pain in their face. Trigeminal Neuralgia usually develops after age forty, however there have been cases of people as young as 3 years of age suffering with it.


Prior to my most recent wiki contribution, the Trigeminal Neuralgia article did not mention that the disorder can develop in children. It only said that, "It (Trigeminal Neuralgia) usually develops after the age of 40." To me this sentence gives no indication that people much, younger than 40 could get it. So I expanded on the sentence by adding "although there have been cases with patients being as young as three years of age". I feel this is an important addition because, if people are unaware that this disorder can form at a young age, misdiagnosis could occur.