Friday, May 18, 2007

Job Interview | Final Post

Compared with the other articles I monitored throughout the course of this project (beginning mid February), the job interview entry experienced the least amount of activity, with at least a week seperating some edits and only 40 edits (including the ones I did) between my first edit and the most recent version of the article. Durring this time I was the only person to add new information (although a few external links were added, but were quickly erased). Edits made by others fell into the following three categorie: 1. Vandalism; 2. Removal of vandalism;
3. Grammar corrections (the majority of which were made to information that I added). Overall I was dissapointed with the progression of the article, it didnt change much since the beggining of the project. I consider the article to be well written, of high quality and relevant content. However, there is a tremendous amount of information that could be added as well as more high quality external links. Also many more citations are needed (curently there is only one citation which I added) before this article can be considered up to encyclopedic standards.

Summary of my contributions
My first edit consisted of creating a new section which I called Preparation to which I added a paragraph of information. I aslo added information to an already existing section titled, Process. For my second edit I contributed more information to the Process section. Finally, for my third edit, I corrected a grammar error, and also inserted a citation (to information I had added during my second edit) in response to a negative reaction I had recieved. The only changes made by others to my edits were grammar corrections which I felt enhanced what I had written. As mentioned earlier in this post, I did receive a negative response on the discussion page of the Job Interview article, related to the following information which I had added during my second edit.

"A candidate should follow up the interview with a thank you letter expressing their appreciation for the opportunity of meeting with the company representative."

And here is the response I recieved
"Should? According to whom? Is this an encyclopedia or a self help book? It could be equally argued that the company should write a thank you letter to express appreciation for meeting such a wonderful candidate. And by the way, WTF still writes letters these days? "Klafubra
19:02, 9 May 2007 (UTC)"

To which I immediately wrote out the following response expressing how I felt. However after I finished writing it I was able to restrain from posting it on wikipedia.
"Your lack of any substancial comments is apparently why you had to resort to using curse words. Being courteous, considerate and appreciative are still very much accepted behaviors and the skill of letter writing is alive and well and practiced by literate and intelligent people. And by the way who said an e-mail and a "letter" are mutually exclusive? Finally, nowhere do I preclude the possibility of the company also writing to the candidate. "
Links to my blog post where I originally discussed each edit
Edit 1
Edit 2
Edit 3

No comments: